I wonder whether this further shows the value of distinguishing
not just exemptions and accommodations, but discriminatory action and
nondiscriminatory action.  For instance, I expect that few people would view a
bookstore owner's decision to close the store as "censorship," or a private
organization's decision not to host a debate as burdening freedom of speech.
So it seems that it's worth distinguishing - for analytical purposes even if
not always for legal purposes - at least three categories of action:

                1.  Deliberate action that singles out speakers, religious
practitioners, and others who exercise particular constitutional rights for
exclusion.

                2.  A generally applicable rule that applies to people who have
religious objections to it (or perhaps have free-speech-based objections, as
with nondiscrimination rules or membership-disclosure rules applied to private
associations, or as in cases such as O'Brien), and from which objectors seek an
exemption.

                3.  A generally applicable rule that applies to people who have
religious objections to it, and as to which objectors seek an accommodation
that would require action by others.

                Eugene