From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of Volokh, Eugene [vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:17 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Basketball tournaments on the Sabbath

I wonder whether "religious liberty" is exactly the right term here, where
we're talking about access to a privately provided program, and one that is
hardly essential for life or livelihood.  The question isn't just whether
Orthodox Jews are free to live as good Orthodox Jews, or even are free to get
broadly available benefits of the welfare state that are important to survival
(such as unemployment compensation).  Rather, the question is whether other
private parties should adapt their behavior -- their exercise of their own
liberty -- to accommodate Orthodox Jews' felt religious obligations.  That's an
interesting question, and the answer might well be that they should so adapt
their behavior, if it's a low-cost adaptation, out of hospitality or kindness
or application of the Golden Rule or some such.  But I think that talk of
"liberty" here is not very helpful.

Eugene