It is hard to set up such a system for cab drivers -- think of cabbies waiting
at an airport where 6 in a row refuse passengers based on their possession of a
bottle of wine.  It may be a longish wait or even a very long wait for the
non-discriminating cabbie.  Or just hailing one on the street -- where would
the sign be displayed?  When would the discussion take place?  How?
Tiny burden on those cabbies, it seems to me.  And if they can't abide by the
rules, get a different job.
Public accommodations and public services just should not allow that sort of
accommodation when the service is being denied to others -- it is burdening
others based on difference of religion -- for the provision of a public service.

Many accommodations that might seem easy from the outside turn out not to be so
easy.  Of course some accommodations are in fact quite easy and not as
burdensome as some people (often employers) think they will be.

In practical areas one should not be quite confident in the ease of applying a
seemingly "principled" disctinction.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Associate Director, Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice

"Politics hates a vacuum.  If it isn't filled with hope, someone will fill it
with fear."

Naomi Klein