From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:39 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Cabbies vs. lawyers

                In a sense this may be obvious, but it might be worth
restating:  One thing that is facing the cabbies is that for complex reasons
cabbies are stripped of liberties that the rest of us take for granted.  If we
disapprove of alcohol – whether because we’re Muslim or Methodist, or because a
close family member is an alcoholic or was injured by a drunk driver – we are
free to refuse to fix the plumbing in a bar, to give legal advice to Coors, or
to refuse to let people carrying beer bottles onto our business property.  To
be sure, our right to freedom of choice may have been limited in some ways by
bans on race discrimination, sex discrimination, religious discrimination, and
the like.  But whether right or wrong those bans still leave us mostly free to
choose whom to do business with.

                The cab drivers thus want only the same kind of liberty that
the rest of us generally have.  Their argument isn’t a pure freedom of choice
argument (which the law has rightly or wrongly denied to cabbies generally) but
a freedom of choice argument coupled with a religious freedom argument; but
that simply shows that this freedom of choice is even more important to them
than it generally is to the rest of us.

                This doesn’t mean that they should win.  Maybe there’s a really
good reason for denying cabbies, including religious objectors, this freedom of
choice when it comes to transporting alcohol.  But it does cast a different
light on objections to people “choosing [clients] according to [the choosers’]
religious belief,” or “demand[ing] a ‘right’ to exist in a culture that mirrors
their views.”  No-one makes such objections when we as lawyers pick and choose
our clients; no-one faults us for choosing them according to our religious
beliefs (unless those beliefs require race or sex discrimination or such);
no-one says that lawyers who refuse to work for alcohol distributors demand a
right to exist in a culture that mirrors our views.  Likewise, I don’t think
it’s fair to condemn cabbies for seeking, in this one area that is unusually
important to them, the same freedom that lawyers have.

                Eugene