I've just read *Gibson v Brewer*, 952 SW.2d 23 (Mo.1997).  If that's the
poster child for why RFRAs are bad, it's not much of a poster.  In the
first place, it didn't involve a RFRA at all, just the First Amendment,
with which we're stuck for better or for worse.

First, motions to dismiss claims of battery, negligent infliction of
emotional distress, and intentional infliction of emotional distress
against the priest were denied by the lower courts, and these decisions
were not reviewed by the Missouri Supreme Court.

the court did dismiss claims of negligent hiring or ordination of clergy,
negligent failure to supervise clergy, negligent infliction of emotional
distress by clergy, and independent negligence by the diocese on First
Amendment grounds.  Some of those rulings may have been too broad.

But it allowed a claim of intentional failure to supervise clergy to go
forward, rejecting the diocese's First Amendment defense.

It also dismissed a respondeat superior claim against the diocese, based on
ordinary principles of Missouri respondeat superior law that would apply to
any employer.  Missouri respondeat superior law appears to be narrower
than, e.g., DC law, where the claim probably would have been allowed to
proceed, but that has nothing to do with religion.   Likewise, it found no
First Amendment bar to a claim of intentional infliction of emotional
distress by the diocese, but dismissed that claim because the allegations
of the complaint did not state a claim under state law.

It would be interesting to know what happened on remand to the claims
against the priest and the claim against the diocese for intentional
failure to supervise.

Art Spitzer

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu>wrote:

>                 Anecdotal evidence and surmise is all we have for most
> laws – it’s all we have for the proposition that, for instance, having
> RFRAs actually increases religious freedom; it’s not like we have social
> science or criminal statistics to support that.  And social science and
> criminal statistics are especially unlikely to be available for child
> sexual abuse by the clergy, which is for obvious reasons hard to measure
> accurately, and which is numerically rare enough that random variation can
> easily swamp any slight effects of a RFRA or employer tort liability.  To
> be sure, I think that social science evidence, when it’s available and when
> it’s properly gathered and analyzed, can be very helpful in making policy
> decisions.  But we often find ourselves having to make such decisions even
> without such evidence.****
>
> ** **
>
>                 Eugene****
>
> ** **

**Arthur B. Spitzer
Legal Director
American Civil Liberties Union of the Nation's Capital
4301 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 434
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel. 202-457-0800
www.aclu-nca.org <a...@aclu-nca.org>
artspit...@gmail.com

*See Something - Say Something!
If you see a violation of civil liberties, call the ACLU!*

*Confidentiality Notice*

* *This message is being sent by a lawyer.  It is intended exclusively for
the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  This communication may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise legally protected
from disclosure.  If you are not a named addressee then you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any
part of it.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of this message.  Thank
you.