Isn't there still a substantial body of medical opinion--perhaps not as
prevalent as in decades past--that recommends circumcision as a preventive
health measure? If the issue is the lack of consent from the subject of the
operation, this certainly affects more than just religious observance, and
more than just this particular operation. And if the decision hinges
specifically on the fact that the motivation (if that can ever be clear) is
primarily religious, that certainly smacks of religio-cultural
insensitivity, to put it mildly.

Vance

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Paul Finkelman <paul.finkel...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Are they also banning parents from piercing the ears of children? In many
> cultures it is common to see infant girls with pierced ears.   Does the ban
> extend to pierced ears before age 18?  And then there is body piercing
> before age 18.  Is that being banned?  Has the Court banned tattoos for
> people under 18?
>
> And has this ban spread to Muslim male children, who are circumcised at
> age 7, 10 or slightly later depending on the sect.
>
> The fact is, given Germany's history of how it has dealt with Jews, is is
> not illegitimate to wonder what the Court is thinking.   Germany has one of
> the fastest growing Jewish populations in the world -- mostly through
> immigration.  This decision, if enforced all over the country, would slow
> down or stop that population growth.  One might at least ponder why this
> case has come to the Germany court, and not one involving piercing,
> tattoos, or Muslim circumcision.
>
> ----
> Paul Finkelman
> President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
> Albany Law School
> 80 New Scotland Avenue
> Albany, NY 12208
>
> 518-445-3386 (p)