With regard to the US and our 1st Amendment:

I've been suggesting for some time informally that we should consider a
historical (an historical?) approach to free exercise. Those religious
practices that have been accepted for a long time in our society  settings (and
modern analogues) should be seen as part of the religious exercise that is
protected. Use of relatively small amounts of mildly intoxicating substances by
adults or near-adults in controlled settings (e.g., communion wine) should be
protected. That would cover not only communion wine but also the religious uses
of hoasca tea and peyote. Use of large amounts of traditionally accepted
intoxicants in a historically societally-accepted setting (drinking of
substantial amounts wine in Jewish religious celebrations like the Passover
Seder) could arguably be protected.

Circumcision not only has been a historically-accepted practice but also has
historically been seen as necessary for the existence in our society of a
minority religious community, the Jews. By analogy, similar practices that have
only relatively benign and limited physical effects should  be protected,
including Muslim circumcision (which I suppose but do not know to be very
similar to Jewish circumcision). Branding children's faces or female genital
mutilation would not be protected, though the details of how they would be
distinguished would have to be worked out.

Note that circumcision has been widely practiced in the US by Christians as
well as by Jews, and has been seen as a kind of familial choice. For Smith
purposes, the combination of historically-rooted parental rights with the free
exercise claim should be sufficient even under current law to protect
circumcision.

All of this is apart from the ethics of this German decision, which is
reprehensible in its foreseeable effect of destroying or banishing one or more
religious communities.

Note also that circumcision is not necessarily irreversible. See
http://intactnews.org/node/115/1314118161/pioneering-foreskin-regeneration-reverse-circumcision-interview-founder-foregen.

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law
Pepperdine Univ. School of Law