I would like some clarification from those relying on purported "parental
rights." The use of the term "parental right"  is freighted w social and
cultural value but very little legal value.

Pierce v Society of Sisters is balanced by Prince.  So the use of "right" in
this context is a dead end in my view.

The best interest of the child is not in the context of parental rights as much
as it is intended to treat the child as a separate person who deserves
protection and respect even in opposition to a parent's demands or needs.

Marci