very difficult question for me.  I think the grounds on which Yoder
explicitly rests (communitarian view of free exercise, not a parental right
generally)  cannot be justified.  If parents have a constitutional right to
home educate children (after 8th grade, or 14 years old?  Those were the
Yoder facts), then the right should belong to all parents, with or without
religious motivation, with or without a religious community behind them.
And such parents should have to show they are making adequate provision for
alternative education (as the Amish did, though it was gendered and very
narrow).

In the wake of Yoder, after a number of unsuccessful constitutional claims
in the state courts by other parents (some religious and some secular),
pitched political battles led to a situation in which virtually every state
now has some statutory or regulatory provision for home education (always
requiring an education plan approved by state or local authorities).  So
the system has come around to a religion-neutral result, supportive of home
education, though not by way of constitution law.  And that seems like a
good thing.  I would guess that Yoder as a religion-specific precedent (a
"hybrid rights" case) has not had much generative power.  I''d be happy to
learn of examples to the contrary,

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Scarberry, Mark <
mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu> wrote:

> Chip, setting aside whether the Court in Smith adequately distinguished
> Yoder, was Yoder decided incorrectly? If it was correctly decided, how does
> it fit with a regime under which we are to be indifferent to religious
> motivations and are to ignore historically-recognized religious practices?
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Mark****
>
> ** **
>
> Mark S. Scarberry****
>
> Professor of Law****
>
> Pepperdine Univ. School of Law****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053