Yes (to Marty.)  I'm someone inclined toward Marty's view, and I think the
empirical question of regret is very important.  Regret either way is
important.  If most circumcised men regret their infant circumcisions,
then infant circumcision becomes harder to justify.  Similarly, if most
uncircumcised men regret not being circumcised as an infant, that too
enters into it.  It's easy to say that an uncircumcised man can always get
circumcised (and he can).  But it requires surgery and anesthetic in a
very sensitive place.  And there are a lot of emotional sunk costs too.

I'm generally a strong believer in regulatory exemptions for Free
Exercise, even when the rest of the world is doing something totally
different.  But what the rest of the world is doing is very important
here, because it goes to the burden on the child.  If 30% of boys are
circumcised, allowing me to circumcise my son seems an easy call.  My son
won't be different from the other kids in his class; his future sexual
partners won't think of him as weird.  But if only 2% are circumcised,
it's a different story.  If it's only 2% and those 2% are treated like
freaks, then it's a very different story.

My understanding is that the circumcision rate in the US is still above
50%, though it's below 50% in some of the western states.  Changes in that
are highly relevant.  But given the demographics now, I'm inclined to
think this is an easy call in favor of parental autonomy and free
exercise.

Marty/Eugene's tattoo point is marvelous, I think.  The numbers of 18-25
year olds with tattoos is staggering, something like 40%.  If that rises
to say 80%, then the tattooing of a child will seem more justifiable,
because tattoo regret will probably drop.  On the other hand, kids may
regret the kind of tattoo that Mom and Dad wanted (and of course they
will!), so I guess it's still different than circumcision.

Best,

Chris