To Sandy, the “substantial burden” part of this will depend on what the
plaintiff believes.  If the Jewish prisoner believes that he has a religious
obligation to eat Kosher meat, then there will be a “substantial burden” if
the prison doesn’t provide Kosher meat.  But by having such a broad view of
what his religion requires, the prisoner creates other difficulties for
himself.  A sincerity problem perhaps, and certainly a compelling interest
problem.  I haven’t read many of these cases, but I have read some.  And my
sense is that if the prison supplies nutritious vegetarian food, no court
would require the prison to build a Kosher kitchen.

To Marci, to the extent that the prisoner can only eat something his
religion forbids, that’s the clearest form of a substantial burden.  That
kind of burden is what the Catholic Church claims here.  No doubt that there
are harder cases.  The prison provides some Kosher foods, maybe enough to
survive on, but not enough for the kind of diet that other prisoners have.
I don’t have firm views about those situations, although I think it’s clear
that the “government-requires-what-my-religion-forbids” situation is not the
only case of a substantial burden.

Best,

Chris