It cannot be the answer that the coverage is mandated. Whether the coverage can
be mandated is the question. The employer signs a contract, and pays for a
contract, that covers these services. But for the regulation, he could sign and
pay for a very similar contract that does not cover these services.

Re saving money: I’m going to tweak the facts to isolate the issue of cost
saving. I’m going to make the religious objection one that everyone would
share. I understand that  these hypothetical facts are extreme. The point is
only to separate the issue of saving money from all the other issues.

Suppose the church runs an orphanage with 1000 children. It invites bids on a
contract to feed the children for a year. It specifies the quantity and quality
of food. It gets two bids.

The first bid is $1.5 million.  The second bid is $1.3 million. The second
bidder specifies that after the contract is awarded, it will take the 100
oldest children, drive them to the nearest big city, and dump them on the
street. There will be no need to feed them anymore. The church should not worry
that it is paying for this immoral act, because it isn’t paying – it is
actually paying less instead of more. But of course the church would think
itself morally responsible if it signed that contract.

>From the church’s perspective, if contraception saves money, it will do so by
>preventing children from being born. Most of us think that contraception is
>good thing. But if you think it an evil thing, the fact that it saves money
>does not make it morally acceptable to contract for it, or to pay for a
>package that includes it.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546