Cathy Kaveny asked me to send along this reaction to some of the issues
we've been discussing:

Hi all,

This is a fascinating discussion. I'm sorry I can't participate more
because I have to get ready for a couple of talks.

So I'll limit myself to three quick points.

1. Is the cooperation permissible according to Catholic teaching? This
seems to me to be, at the very least, a question Catholics can publicly
raise and discuss. In my view, the insurance issue is remote mediate
material cooperation with evil--the sort of thing that is justifiable with
"proportionate" reason.  The type of arrangement has been signed off on by
moral theologians many times before.  Much closer cooperation with graver
evils has been justified --for example, the manualists have said that it is
permissible for a nurse to hand the instruments to a doctor whom she knows
is performing an abortion.  What's the difference here? I think the key
issue isn't the cooperation itself, but the scandal--the current bishops
discern a need to take a stand against the "culture of death."

2. Some have argued that the cooperation with evil is "formal"--i.e.,
intentionally furthering the wrongdoing because it is under a contractual
arrangement. You're buying the insurance policy, it has contraception in
it. You're intending to buy contraception.  In my view, that's a mistake.
 The cooperation is intentional, but the contribution to the evil is
praeter intentionem--"beside the intention" of the person contracting for
the policy.

3.  The more vexing question for me is the relationship between the ad
intra discussion and the legal analysis.  On the one hand, I don't think
it's a good idea for courts to go mucking around in religious traditions,
turning themselves into theologians of various faiths. On the other hand, I
am leery of reading the notion of "substantial" out of the jurisprudence,
so that any burden is substantial if any religious believer claims it is.

Take care, and special thanks to Marty for organizing such a wonderful
conversation!

Best,

Cathleen