Though I agree with much that Sandy says (and especially join in his
Happy Thanksgiving wishes), I wonder whether the item below involves the
tailing wagging the dog a bit.  Many virtues that we inculcate in schools are
only presumptive virtues, that sometimes must be set aside in favor of other
virtues.  That's true of honesty.  (You might have to lie to the Nazi who comes
to ask whether you're hiding Jews in your home.)  It's true of solving problems
in non-violent ways.  (You might need to use deadly force in self-defense, or
fight in a war to protect your country.)  That's also true of following the
law, and using law-abiding means to try to change laws you disapprove of.  Yet
it seems to me that it's good to teach such virtues, and have disciplinary or
monitoring measures that help reinforce the virtues, even though we recognize
that in rare circumstances such virtues need to yield to other concerns.

        Eugene