I think citing to a listserv discussion without confirming with the author is
bad form unless one is simply crediting an idea that one is using that one
first learned on the listserv.  I think using an idea posted as a foil (or
worse) without giving the author the opportunity to clarify and extend his or
her remarks is particularly inappropriate.

But, for the most part, I don't think any of us are so important or what we
talk about so valuable or brilliant that much harm could ever be done by such
behavior.  Pre-tenure folk may want to be a bit more circumspect, or those who
are really concerned about their reputations among a tiny insignificant (for
the most part) crowd, but for most of us, I don't think it matters one whit.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

“It’s all about you, using your own mind, without any method or schema, to
restore order from chaos. And once you have, you can sit back and say, ‘Hey,
the rest of my life may be a disaster, but at least I have a solution.’ ”
Marcel Danesi, in an interview about his book, “The Puzzle Instinct: The
Meaning of Puzzles in Human Life.”