... Let me present another view.

Scholarship is not about vanity; it's about the ideas. Things that are relevant
to an idea can come in many forms -- letters, songs, poems, conversations
between spouses or a public speech. It could come from a diary or a movie. The
trouble comes when we fail to be cognizant of the kind of source material that
falls within our scholastic purview. What is said in an e-mail may not be the
person's "considerate views" for a variety of reasons. We all know havoc that
can come from the ease of the medium and from hip shooting in general. At the
same time, we also know that relying only upon formally published material is
too stuffy (formalistic). It betrays everything we know about the virtues of
understanding premises and propositions by using historical context, biography,
portrayal, social context and whatnot. And so, perhaps this is the answer:
e-mails may indeed become scholarly relevant, but they only ever amount to a
quick and cursory sort of thing. If someone were to cite to X's e-mailed
position, it should never be regarded as his or her considerate view, without
more, and it should always be dealt with by the person using it with
qualification (apologetically). You should, in short, be able to apologetically
use any e-mail, if it was truly relevant to the scholarly issue, and if, in
text, you remind the reader of its inherent contingent value.

One other nothing. I hope we all agree that "aristocrat ethics" should be
avoided at all cost. Surely no one would propose a veil of secrecy around their
emails because of a concern for vanity or for club status. Sometimes I think we
misunderstand what the true ethic is here: the pursuit of truth/perspective and
the need for intellectual discourse.

So long as you use the email apologetically -- recognizing its contingent
status -- it's okay to use it if doing so is relevant.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 2, 2013, at 1:21 PM, "Scarberry, Mark" <mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu>