I know this point has been made literally dozens of times before, but I
continue to be unable to ascertain the difference between “government-mandated
funding of contraception” and government-mandated funding of brutal weapons of
mass destruction or the training by the United States of personnel who are
enabled to engage in the regular violation of at least that part of the United
Nations Treaty, which we have ratified, that prohibits the infliction of
“Degrading and Inhumane Acts” as well as “torture.”  It is an (unfortunate)
necessity of life in any government based on other than unanimous consents that
losers will be upset by legislation endorsed by winners.  Unlike Marci, I
remain sympathetic to RFRA because I can understand claims that, for example,
one should not be forced to work on one’s Sabbath as a condition to receive
state benefits and the like.

Jean Bethke Elshtain, a wonderful scholar and a good friend, has just died.
She had an essay in a book that I edited, Torture:  A Collection, in which she
cautioned against too quick to describe as  “torture” all methods of
interrogation that we find problematic.  An obvious problem with such overreach
is that it tends to discredit the general argument against “torture.”  The
obvious analogue, for me at least, is that claims that the Constitution,
correctly understood, should protect the claim against paying for insurance
that is broader than one would like.  As a matter of fact, Marci speaks
eloquently of the substantive issues that are raised, but that may simply be
evidence that I agree with her.  As suggested by my initial example, there are
lots of features of contemporary US military policy that appall me, but I still
can’t summon up an argument that I should be free from paying taxes, even if
I’d be open to overturning the Court’s decision many years ago against allowing
“selective conscientious objection.”  That, after all, required quite literally
conscripting the body.  But conscripting one’s money is precisely what any and
all governments do, without exception.  Unless someone claims that it is
unconstitutional for the state to require anyone to help finance
contraception—in the way that I at least think it is unconstitutional to
require anyone to pay religious ministers (save, of course, for chaplains,
which illustrates how things get more complicated when we wrestle with the real
world), then I remain (almost) totally unsympathetic.

I apologize for the total unoriginality of these arguments, but, alas, we seem
to return to the same issues over and over, with, quite obviously, no one
convincing anyone on the “other side.”

sandy