The pill is widely prescribed for serious medical problems as I delineated
earlier.  And the decision of when to have children is not remotely limited to
pleasure.

The govt has a compelling interest in ensuring the maximal availability of
birth control for these medical reasons and to shore up the right of women to
choose.

The govt also has a compelling interest in treating men and women equally.
There is a strong argument by women that a health care system that does not
include reproductive health care is discriminating against women.

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School
Yeshiva University