Eugene invokes *Wooley *to make the following comparison:

"If Maynard can't be required to carry the motto 'Live Free or Die' on his
car, then a Maynard who is a generally will-take-most-commissions freelance
writer can’t be required to write a press release or organizational
newsletter that expresses the view 'Scientology is good.'"

Should it not matter that *Wooley* -- like *Barnette*, but unlike Eugene's
freelance-writer hypo -- involved a content-specific regulation by the
government directed at speech (declare "Live Free or Die" or pledge
"Allegiance" to the flag), not a broad conduct regulation of commercial
services offered to the public (don't discriminate based on a customer's
race, religion, sex, marital status, or sexual-orientation) that ends up
having an incidental effect on speech in a particular case? Eugene has been
supportive of the *Smith *Court's distinction between regulations directed
at religion and incidental burdens in the free exercise context; why
shouldn't a similar distinction be made in the free speech context?

Also, here's an alternative comparison that would seem to flow just as
logically from Eugene's position:

If Maynard can't be required to carry the motto 'Live Free or Die' on his
car, a Maynard who runs a bakery and generally personalizes cakes for most
occasions can't be required to personalize a cake that expresses the view
that an [interracial, inter-faith, second, same-sex] marriage anniversary
is a happy occasion.

I'm skeptical that a bakery owner's free speech interests are just as
threatened by the requirement to provide an interracial couple with a
"Happy Anniversary, Richard and Mildred" cake as Maynard's rights were
threatened by having to display the state's "Live Free or Die" message on
his car. My skepticism is driven by (1) the distinction between government
regulation directed at speech and government regulation that incidentally
burdens speech, (2) the distinction between the commercial and
non-commercial realms that Justice O'Connor wrote about in *Jaycees*, and
(3) the distinction between the internal activities of a church or
membership organization and external activities with the public at large.

Of course, one might invoke *Dale *to respond to any proffered distinction
between speech-specific burdens and incidental burdens, and some have also
viewed *Dale *as rejecting O'Connor's commercial/non-commercial
distinction. But it seems to me that *Dale *is actually premised on the
latter distinction, and that both *Dale* and *Hosanna-Tabor *support the
proposition that incidental burdens are of greater concern when they
regulate the internal operations of churches and membership associations
than when they regulate the activities of commercial entities or other
external conduct in society. *See Dale *530 U.S. at 657 ("As the definition
of 'public accommodation' has expanded from clearly commercial entities,
such as restaurants, bars, and hotels, to membership organizations such as
the Boy Scouts, the potential for conflict between state public
accommodations laws and the First Amendment rights of organizations has
increased."); *Hosanna-Tabor* 132 S.Ct. at 707 ("*Smith* involved
government regulation of only outward physical acts. The present case, in
contrast, concerns government interference with an internal church decision
that affects the faith and mission of the church itself.").* See generally P
**rince v. Massachusetts*, 321 U.S. 158, 177-78 (1944) (Jackson, J.,
concurring in the result) ("Religious activities which concern only members
of the faith are and ought to be free—as nearly absolutely free as anything
can be. But beyond these, many religious denominations or sects engage in
collateral and secular activities intended to obtain means from unbelievers
to sustain the worshippers and their leaders…. All such money-raising
activities on a public scale are, I think, Caesar’s affairs and may be
regulated by the State …."); *United States v. Lee*, 455 U.S. 252, 261
(1982) ("When followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity
as a matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a
matter of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory
schemes which are binding on others in that activity.").