The presence or absence of the word "substantial" was briefly addressed in a
follow-up letter here:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/faculty/laycock/texasreligfreedamdt2013senate2corrected.pdf

I defended the word's omission. I also suggested that the Committee add it if
they thought it mattered.

My apologies for the delay. There was an initial miscommunication with our tech
people, and by the time they got this posted, I was caught up in Town of Greece
and completely forgot to go back to this.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 11:00:33 -0500 (EST)
 hamilto...@aol.com wrote:
>Thanks Marty!
>

>Marci A. Hamilton
>Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
>Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
>Yeshiva University
>55 Fifth Avenue
>New York, NY 10003
>(212) 790-0215
>http://sol-reform.com

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903