I apologize for not responding right away, but I'm slammed with other
stuff.  There is a lot to say here, and I think it's important -- Eugene is
raising some good questions.  I'll try to respond in the next day or so; in
the meantime, I'm very grateful for all the reactions, both supportive and
critical (and both!) . . . please keep them coming, thanks.