Marty,

I ran out of space on the other chain. Thanks for carefully responding to my
questions, and I'm sorry for any confusion.

I think nonreligious statutory exemptions could be relevant to RFRA and First
Amendment analyses in at least three different ways.

First, they could suggest that the government's interest isn't really
compelling. I don't take issue with your analysis of that.

An exemption could also suggest an intent to discriminate on the basis of
religion, ala Lukumi. I wouldn't find that argument persuasive here.

The ACA small business exemption, in particular, could also suggest that the
government has other ways to achieve its compelling interest -- paying for the
coverage itself. I'm not sure I find it persuasive in this case -- I just meant
to suggest that pointing out the exemption was not irrelevant to the RFRA
analysis.

What is somewhat ironic here, and perhaps it is a necessary feature of the way
these different analyses interact, is that by addressing the first issue, that
is, by making sure everyone is eligible for coverage and therefore showing that
coverage is a compelling government interest, the government has also
demonstrated a less restrictive way of meeting that compelling government
interest.

In terms of nomenclature, I think of these as three different questions of
underinclusivity. But of course I understand how folks could disagree with the
lingo.

Nathan