Nathan:  I agree that "the government has other ways to achieve its
compelling interest -- paying for the coverage itself" -- if by "coverage"
you mean "health insurance coverage."  And thus, for unemployed persons,
and employees who do not have access to employer-offered insurance, that's
exactly what Congress has done:  It offers access to affordable insurance
plans under Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA exchanges.  And every employer
has the option of ceding the responsibility for such coverage to the
government-created and government-subsidized exchanges if it wishes.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:03 PM, nathan chapman <nathan.s.chap...@gmail.com