From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of hamilto...@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:14 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Notre Dame-- where's the complicit "participation"? Sincerity

Is Doug correct as a legal matter that the bishops speak for Notre Dame, as
opposed to its officials, and the officials' actions are irrelevant?  And that
the actions of its co-religionist officials are irrelevant to  proof of the
organization's beliefs?  Why don't the practices of Notre Dame's officials
prove insincerity in this case?   (I'm assuming that they don't have the 10-20
children

typically incident to not using birth control and that they follow the vast
majority of American Catholics in rejecting the belief against contraception).
How can they claim

a right not to provide contraception for their employees/students in their
health plan because of complicity if they are using it themselves?

To provide an analogy:   In the prison cases, you can test a prisoner's
sincerity when he demands kosher food (because it's better than the usual fare),

and claims a conversion to Judaism, but they find pork rinds in his cell, it is
assumed he is not sincere and does not receive the accommodation (a state

prison general counsel provided this example for me)

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law