I may have more to say on this point later, but for now this'll have to
suffice:

First, Doug may be correct that there is no doubt about what the Church's
teaching is about the morality of *contraception use.  *But there sure is
plenty of doubt, as Eduardo noted, about whether the Church, or Notre Dame,
or Notre Dame's leadership, or any serious Catholic student of the doctrine
of cooperation with evil, actually believes what ND's lawyers are arguing
about an alleged religious prohibition on Notre Dame's actions in
exercising the religious accommodation.  (Whether and how the courts might
inquire into that question is a different matter, of course.)

Having said that, I agree with Doug and Mark Scarberry that it would be
deeply inappropriate for courts to inquire into the sexual practices of
university personnel, because I think it's fair to assume that Notre Dame
sincerely believes (as much as an institution can have beliefs) that
contraception is (in the words of its Vice President's affidavit) a
"serious moral wrong."  And this would be so even if Marci were correct
that many ND officials and administrators themselves use contraception.
For one thing, those individuals may consider themselves to be engaged in
serious moral wrongs.  (As Mark wrote:  "Consistency is not a requirement
of sincerity.")  Moreover, even if some such *individuals* disagreed that
contraception is a serious moral wrong, their views are not those of the
University.

On the other hand, it does seem to me relevant that that Notre Dame
has *publicly
*acted in ways that might be thought to call into question *not *the
sincerity of its belief about contraception, but the *depth*, or*
substantiality,* of that sincere belief, i.e., how *important* this
particular religious commitment is to Notre Dame.  (And this is so even
before we get to the question of how ND might possibly be complicit in
sin.)  For example, although ND does instruct its students that they may
not have pre-marital sex, the school (quite understandably, and
commendably) does little to enforce that rule.  Also, as Judge Posner
noted, it does not insist that its employees not use contraception.  Nor
did it even bother to check, for many years, whether its health insurance
plans included contraception--it's my understanding (I could be wrong about
this) that ND never mentioned to Aetna and Meritain that they should
exclude such coverage, and that the issue was never one ND gave much
attention to -- until President Obama made it a public issue.  Moreover, as
Posner also noted, when Meritain last month told ND employees that they may
now get reimbursement for contraception through Meritain, Notre Dame
apparently did not urge its employees to refrain, or inform them that it
would be morally wrong for them to use contraception.  And it
"ungrandfathered" its health plans, even knowing that that meant it would
be covered by the contraception rule.

Again, I don't think these actions call into question ND's sincerity about
its view that contraception is a serious moral wrong.  And I would not
criticize Notre Dame for acting as it has (to the contrary, I think that in
some of these cases its forbearance is admirable).  But these actions do at
least raise a serious question about the relative *depth *of ND's
conviction, which should, I think, bear on how *substantial* the burden
would be if and when a law regulated the conduct in question.  That is to
say, although consistency is not a requirement of sincerity, it sure is a
good indicator of depth of conviction, and thus of the degree to which the
law would affect the person's religious conduct.  Shouldn't courts be able
to look at how *consistently one acts in accord with one's religious
conviction* as a means of determining how substantial the burden is if and
when the state places pressure on the person to deviate from that
conviction?  To be sure, inconsistent conduct might in some cases
demonstrate insincerity.  But much more frequently, I think, it will
demonstrate "only" that the person in question herself, for whatever
reason, does not treat a sincere religious commitment as something deeply
important to her.  (Like everyone else, for instance, I treat some of my
religious convictions much more seriously than others, in the sense that I
go to much greater expense and trouble to adhere to them.)  And if the
person has been unwilling to pay a cost herself in the service of that
religious obligation -- if she regularly puts that commitment aside when
adherence to it would be modestly costly or inconvenient or inappropriate
for other reasons, for example -- shouldn't that have some bearing on
whether the state should be required to shift the costs to others in the
service of that same religious commitment?