Professor Sisk’s post epitomizes many of the inaccurate assumptions that led to
the enactment of the women’s health provisions in the first place. Let me try
to address a few of the most important points:

1. The distinction between “medically-indicated” (non-contraceptive) uses of
contraception and “non-medical” uses of contraception is spurious. Put aside
for a moment the importance of allowing women to control their own bodies, stay
in school, rise in the workplace, etc. Contraception qua contraception is still
critical for women’s health (planned pregnancies lead to better prenatal care,
and some women have health conditions that make pregnancy dangerous) and for
the health of the children (planned pregnancies lead to better prenatal care,
and properly spaced pregnancies are better for the children).

2. Even if the medical/non-medical distinction were real, imagine having to go
to your HR department for permission to receive coverage for
“medically-indicated” uses of contraception. It’s a trifle infantalizing.

3. There is also no such thing as “ordinary contraception” (which Professor
Sisk posits can be purchased for $10 a month, leaving medical coverage
unnecessary). I’m assuming that Professor Sisk uses that term to refer to the
birth-control pill. Other forms of contraception (such as IUD) are far more
effective and also much more expensive; their high upfront cost leads many
women to choose cheaper and less effective methods. Even if IUD were somehow
considered an aspirational luxury, oral contraception isn’t appropriate for
some women, for instance due to side effects. So we can’t just send women to
CVS sans insurance.

4. Even if oral contraception were the only game in town, $120 a year is
nothing to sneeze at, especially for low-wage workers – the very people who
already face significant financial barriers to obtaining contraception.

5. Many of the same people who have opposed the contraception-coverage
regulations most strenuously would be among the loudest voices opposing a
government program to fund/subsidize contraception for women whose employers
refused to include it in their health policies. The ACA, which attempted to
keep employer-based coverage largely in place, has already been derided as
“socialized medicine.” Even if a separate program were politically viable,
forcing women with objecting-employers to sign up for a separate,
government-run program of contraception coverage is a needless extra burden, is
stigmatizing, and makes insurance coverage less seamless for those women.

6. Let’s put aside for a moment that the “abortifacient” label is almost
entirely contradicted by modern science (even if you accept that interference
with implantation constitutes an abortion). Since opponents of the
contraception regs regularly describe the regs as the “abortion pill mandate,”
are those opponents – the very organizations representing most of the
plaintiffs in these cases – going to turn around and support a government
program that uses taxpayer dollars to provide women with “abortion pills”?
Don’t bet on it.

Implicit in Professor Sisk’s post is that contraception is junior-varsity
healthcare, and that it’s okay if there are gaps in contraception coverage or
if women are left to fend for themselves to get contraception. That is a
dubious policy position, and it was wisely rejected by the political branches.
However one comes down on the religious objections that are now being asserted
in court, Professor Sisk’s view – that government officials are “gleefully
impose[ing] their views on opponents by needless overreach” – makes sense only
if you assume that certain people’s religious views are the only views that
matter, no matter how much that burden third parties.

On Feb 17, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Sisk, Gregory C.