As I explained in my previous post, the supposed alternatives to the current
regulations aren't as effective, and in any event are unlikely to be
politically viable due to opposition by many of the same people who oppose the
current system. These "just a modicum of effort" suppositions appear to be
based on misunderstandings of all sorts of things — and would subject the
affected women to the very costs and burdens that the women's health provisions
attempted to address.

Virtually all Americans and virtually all American Catholics support (or do not
oppose) the use of contraception. Some oppose it on religious grounds, and if
we can accommodate them without harming or burdening others, then we should
probably do so. But here there are harms and burdens to third parties. We
wouldn't accept a religious challenge to the equal pay laws, even though the
government could make make up the difference by paying affected women a salary
supplement; that option would be burdensome and demeaning to women, even though
it would be theoretically possible and even if some of the affected women could
afford to feed their families without it. I don't see why we should burden the
affected women in these cases just because the particular item at issue
involves sex and procreation.

On Feb 17, 2014, at 8:40 PM, "Gaubatz, Derek"