In light of the recent discussions of this issue on the list, and in light
the various proposals percolating in the states, I've got a question for
the group and a shameless plug.

First, the shameless plug -- I've just posted a new piece on the issue to
SSRN (it won't be in print until next year, so comments and suggestions
would be very welcome):

*Interracial and Same-Sex Marriages: Similar Religious Objections, Very
Different Responses*
http://ssrn.com/abstract=2400100

The article addresses two major questions that have gone largely unexamined
in the literature to date: First, why has the legal academy been so
solicitous of religious objections to same-sex marriage when it was never
receptive to similar objections to interracial marriage? Second, if a state
were to adopt the leading academic proposal for religious exemptions--a
proposal that would allow for-profit businesses to discriminate against
same-sex couples--would the exemptions be vulnerable to an equal protection
challenge?

The "leading academic proposal" I discuss is the
Laycock/Berg/Garnett/Wilson proposal Chip mentions below, and the principal
discussion of that proposal begins on page 35 of the draft. A more general
discussion of exemptions for commercial businesses starts on page 27 of the
draft.

Second, the question for the group: What explains the recent pivot from the
"marriage specific" proposals (e.g., proposed amendment to Minnesota's 2012
marriage recognition legislation; proposed amendment to Washington's 2012
marriage recognition legislation; proposed 2014 ballot initiative in
Oregon; 2014 proposed bills in Kansas, Idaho, South Dakota, Tennessee) to
the "expansion of RFRA rights" proposals (Arizona, Missouri)? Is it an
effort to tie into what is expected to be a victory for Hobby Lobby under
the federal RFRA?

- Jim

P.S. My understanding is the same as Chip's -- no state has yet adopted
marriage exemptions that extend to commercial vendors. Speaking of Chip,
his article with Bob on this topic is essential reading (
http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1055&context=njlsp
).