Hillel writes: "I think that some religious traditionalists/conservatives
view themselves as under attack from secularist forces."

I think that is absolutely correct, and one of the major differences
between the 1960s and today is that this perspective now has a voice in the
legal academy. I think that development, along with other increases in
ideological diversity in the academy, is a good thing, even though I tend
to disagree with the arguments that are made from the
traditionalist/conservative perspective, including the
religious-exemptions-for-business arguments being offered in both the
marriage and contraception contexts. (Note: As I point out in my article,
the exemptions-for-business position is by no means exclusive to
traditionalists and conservatives, and there are several other explanations
for the position's currency in the academy).

As for political strategy, I think Hillel nails it, and I suspect a number
of traditionalists/conservatives in the policy realm are going to regret
having not listened to some of the legal academics who were urging them to
pivot sooner from outright opposition to same-sex marriage to broad
religious exemptions. Planting the broad-religious-exemptions flag in
purple and red states looked viable just a few months ago, but the tide
seems to be rapidly shifting (when FOX News hosts Megyn Kelly and Brit Hume
are talking about how the proposed bills might be overreactions, the window
may indeed be rapidly closing).