I’m glad that you agree that avoiding racial segregation is a compelling
interest (although that concession seems inconsistent with your prior post, in
which you claim that we as a society can’t really know much of anything). But I
still haven’t seen any good explanation for why discrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation (or objection to same-sex ceremonies) is materially less
harmful than discrimination on the basis of race (or objection to interracial
ceremonies). There are more religious objections to the latter than to the
former – but there used to be a great many religious objections to even the
former.

At the end of the day, an argument that same-sex discrimination is “better”
than race discrimination can’t just be asserted, and it can’t be bootstrapped
on the basis of vocal religious objections to the same-sex relationships or
ceremonies.

On Feb 26, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Sisk, Gregory C.