True, the racist regime was pretty well entwined with religious
institutions and believers, as were their chief opponents. "Cooperation"
undersells the relationship between racists and the Jim Crow states. It was
an outright takeover of the state apparatus by a faction to the direct
detriment of everyone else and the polity as a whole. (And, as I'm sure Dr.
King would have rushed to point out, to the detriment of the racists
themselves).  The issue isn't whether discrimination because of same sex
marriage (or orientation, or transgender identity) is better or worse than
any other kind of discrimination but the sheer scale of Jim Crow compared
to RFRA on steroids. Maybe they're both the sorts of bigotry at which good
men and women recoil - but as an issue of policy, they are rather different.