Greg Sisk's post re: how to think about the wedding photographer is just
the compelled speech argument one more time.  In the case of a
photographer, a First A claim of compelled speech is plausible, though not
entirely persuasive.  In the case of a baker, florist, wine vendor, or
caterer, the argument that their providing service to a same sex wedding
involves compelling them to speak about the moral/religious bona fides of
the ceremony is not even plausible.

But there is a deeper issue lurking in Greg's post.  If the photographer
has a good compelled speech claim, it is entirely independent of religion.
 She can have any reason, or no reason at all, to refuse to speak.  She can
have religious objections, homophobic reactions, or aesthetic concerns
about taking pictures of two brides or two grooms.  Her reasons are totally
irrelevant.  This is the precise lesson of Minersville v. Gobitis (no free
exercise exemptions from compulsory Flag Salute at school) and West Va Bd
of Ed v. Barnette (no one can be compelled to salute the American flag).
 And if reasons are irrelevant, because this is a compelled speech problem,
then it extends to all weddings -- inter-racial, inter-religious, Italian,
Polish, Jewish, etc.  The photographer cannot be "conscripted" by civil
rights laws into taking and displaying photos against her will.  Maybe this
is a good result; I have my doubts.  But it is NOT a religious exemption,
and it does NOT require any parsing of phobic/bigoted/sincerely religious
reasons to abstain. So, under Greg's approach, the problem raised by
RFRA's, re: separating religious sincerity from phobic bigotry, remains
entirely unresolved.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Sisk, Gregory C. <gcs...@stthomas.edu>wrote:

>  Although Steve's post could be dismissed as filled with overstatements,
> unfair characterizations, demonization of dissenting voices, and setting up
> strawmen to easily knock down, let me take his points at face value and use
> them as a starting point for a conversation that might lower the tension
> and find some common ground.  Much of the back-and-forth accusations that
> fly past each other without true engagement may be traced to (1) the
> over-use or the mis-use of the term "discriminate" and (2) at least the
> appearance of overreaching in requesting accommodation.  The central point
> of dispute here really comes down to situations that involve a personal
> decision not to be forced to participate in a celebration or an affirmance
> of something with which one does not agree.  Yes, other situations may
> arise and deserve consideration on their own merits.  But let's set those
> to one side for now.  If we were to narrow the battlefield down to the
> point of coerced personal participation and identification with a position
> or message and preserving freedom of association in a narrow category,
> perhaps we might find a place where the heat could be lowered, where the
> accusation of discrimination is strained, and accommodations less
> grudgingly accepted.
>

> Steve states that "general societal laws . . . would require [religious
> believers] to ignore the sexual orientation of students, employees,
> customers, etc."  Now that is not an accurate description of new
> anti-discrimination laws, which go much further in effect.  But suppose
> that his description were correct.  Indeed, perhaps it *should* be
> correct and anti-discrimination laws should be recalibrated to fit Steve's
> description.  If we did so, we might be able to establish a common ground
> in which anti-discrimination laws would be harder to challenge on religious
> grounds and easier to defend as not imposing a governmental orthodoxy on
> others.  If persons of traditional religious faith with a dissenting view
> on sexual morality were simply required to "ignore the sexual orientation"
> of those with whom study or teach, work, or engage in the marketplace, it
> would indeed be more difficult to defend resistance to such a requirement
> as (1) involving a substantial burden on religious exercise, (2) justifying
> an exemption from anti-discrimination laws, or (3) involving a religious
> principle as opposed to simple hostility.  Of course, few or none of the
> real world religious liberty cases that arise involve such things as a
> grocer refusing to allow someone to purchase a bag of groceries or a
> physician refusing to set someone's broken leg.  But that just goes to show
> that Steve might have pointed us to a place of consensual rest.  An
> anti-discrimination law of such scope would find near universal approbation.
>

> To be sure, there would still be a subset of instances in which religious
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" (forthcoming, summer 2014, Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co.)
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg