A belated response to Alan's typically thoughtful and though-provoking post:

I think Alan is right that an absolute non-profit/for-profit distinction
will not be sufficient to solve all cases. But I don't think the close
cases Alan posits would require a change to the two paradigm categories at
the opposite ends of the spectrum: (1) the internal operations of
non-profit religious organizations and (2) for-profit commercial businesses
open to the public at large.

As Alan notes, there are certainly non-profit enterprises and activities
that are far enough removed from #1 that they should be subject to
antidiscrimination law. Conversely, there may be for-profit enterprises
that "cater to a limited religious market" such that they may not be best
considered public accommodations (as Kevin Chen has noted) and their
selectivity does not amount to "singling out same-sex couples for
discriminatory treatment."

But I do think it's important to keep in mind that the commercial
businesses actually involved in the disputes over same-sex marriage to date
-- including the bakeries in Oregon and Colorado, the florist in
Washington, and the photographer in New Mexico -- have not catered their
businesses towards limited religious markets or limited their services
based on any religious beliefs other than their opposition to same-sex
marriage. And the academic proposal for commercial exemptions that has been
pressed for the past five years is not limited to businesses that cater to
a limited religious market.

At the end of the day, I suspect the much more limited accommodation Alan
suggests has not been proposed -- either in the context of same-sex
marriage today, or the context of interracial marriages, interfaith
marriages, or marriages between divorced people in the past -- because it
has never been deemed necessary as a practical matter. Unlike the bakery or
florist in the local strip mall, or the inn advertising to all comers on
the internet, the orthodox Jewish caterers or Christian marriage counselors
who are expressly holding themselves out as providing religiously
affiliated services probably do not have people who disagree with their
religious beliefs requesting their services.