The employer does not "earmark" any benefits as being for contraception.
(Indeed, not even the plan does so.)  Nor does the employer purchase
contraception.

An employer that does not offer a health care plan will pay its employees
more in wages.  (It's all a form of compensation for labor.)  Those
employees will inevitably use those extra wages for health care, including
contraception.  An employer may choose, however, to replace some of those
wages with a health insurance plan -- a substitute form of compensation.
Of course, an employee who receives this alternative form of compensation
cannot use it for anything under the sun -- not baseball tickets, not
hamburgers.  But she can purchase tens or hundreds of thousands of
different medical services, of which contraception is a small subset.  And
she'll be reimbursed for those medical services by the plan, whichever she
happens to use.  *The employee *decides what to "earmark," just as she does
with wages -- she simply has a somewhat less unlimited, yet still vast, set
of choices.