A contraceptive method with an upfront cost of up to $1000 is by no means
"relatively cheap," especially for someone with a low income (that is, someone
least able to afford an unplanned pregnancy/birth).

On Mar 17, 2014, at 3:40 PM, "Stuart Buck"
<stuartb...@msn.com<mailto:stuartb...@msn.com>> wrote:

Withholding effective contraception is a straw man; the only question here is
whether making a widely available and relatively cheap consumer product "free"
at the point of purchase will magically have a "dramatic" impact on the
abortion rate. There is absolutely no reason to think that it would.

________________________________
From: lip...@au.org<mailto:lip...@au.org>
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Hobby Lobby and Abortion
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:38:27 +0000

What kind of study would you want to see: one that withholds effective
contraception from people for 10–20+ years and then checks to see how many
people had unwanted pregnancies (and, in turn, how many had abortions)?

Making IUD affordable to more people will indeed cause more people to use IUD
(Guttmacher and other briefs have good stats on that); and unless you think
that low-income women have abortions for sport, reducing the rate of unwanted
pregnancy will of course reduce the rate of abortion — especially among
lower-income women.

If you are concerned that the "society-wide take-up rate of IUDs" won't be high
enough, then the last thing you would want to do is deprive more women of
access to IUD.

And let's not forget the other side of the ledger: there is little to no modern
evidence that IUD (or emergency contraception) ever acts after fertilization,
let alone that they regularly do so.

On Mar 17, 2014, at 12:09 PM, "Stuart Buck"