Under North Carolina law, would it be a misdemeanor for clergy to perform a
marriage ceremony that created a marriage valid in the eyes of the
religious denomination but did not purport to create a marriage valid as a
matter of civil law?

If the misdemeanor applied only to a marriage ceremony that purported to
create a marriage valid as a matter of civil law, would the problem
disappear, since a marriage performed without a state certificate
presumably would not purport to create a marriage valid as a matter of
civil law?

*Warning*
*: this message is subject to monitoring by the NSA.*