I assume that the use of quotes around "constitutional fact" is meant to
highlight that the phrase is used as an analogy in this situation, which is
governed by a statute and not the Constitution. But partly for that reason,
I think the danger of a jury's refusal to follow a proper instruction on
the irrelevance of a belief's rationality to its sincerity is not likely to
be very significant (since firstly, juries don't usually ignore a judge's
instructions, and secondly, a court can also enter a JNOV if the jury has
obviously gotten it wrong). If the determination of sincerity is left to
courts as some kind of "über-fact" then I think we really do tread
dangerous ground, since that determination will too often be made on hidden
policy agendas, for administrative convenience, or other factors that we
really don't want to impinge on religious liberty, to say nothing of
investing the courts in determining issues of religion that the
Constitution forbids them to do.

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA
vrko...@world.std.com