I think I agree with everything Paul says here, and I didn't mean to
suggest naivete or anything else; I just meant to disagree with the
assertion that I understood Paul to be making.

In particular, I agree that if you asked many state legislators--and
especially those who favor homeschooling for personal or political
reasons--they will honestly tell you that they believe that the state
cannot conscript their children into schools (public or otherwise) without
giving parents some rights to homeschool. In my view, they are certainly
wrong as a federal constitutional matter. But I do think they believe it,
as do many parents who homeschool. (Indeed, this is part of my argument in
the paper I linked to.)

Hillel Y. Levin
Associate Professor
University of Georgia