But isn’t the central question protecting “free exercise” when there are
arguably significant third-party consequences?  Inevitably, we return to the
problem at the heart of Mill’s  On Liberty:  Can we really identify a category
of acts that do not inflict harm on third parties.  What about suicide?  For
many of us, that would be a quintessential example, so that the state has no
interest in trying to prevent suicide by competent adults.  But for others,
suicide is not only immoral, but also a grievous harm inflicted on survivors.
Or that old standby, religious sacrifice.  Why not, at least if those being
sacrificed, perhaps like suicide bombers, accept their demise in the name of a
higher calling?  Ditto with regard to adult bigamy?  Marci, I know, believes
that women are harmed by the practice.  What if one begs to disagree and wants
more evidence of specifiable harms?

But re vaccinations, at least if we’re talking about contagious diseases, it’s
altogether easy to figure out the potential harm.  So some take refuge in
statistics—the harm isn’t that likely, even if it’s costs are great in the
unlikely event that it is suffered—or in straight-out balancing:  the harm
isn’t that great and should be willingly accepted as the relatively small price
to pay for protecting religious freedom.  But how does this square, say, with
the employment accommodation cases (is the right cite Thornton?), where, as I
recall, people aren’t not allowed to generate costs to third parties if they
refuse to work on religiously-freighted days (as against the duty of the
employer, which I don’t object to, to try to work out accommodations by
eliciting voluntary day shifting and the like).

sandy