Alan:  What do you thank about freelance writers?  Say that
someone generally takes freelance gigs to write a wide range of press releases,
technical manuals, and pretty much anything else that comes in the door.  Along
comes the Church of Scientology, asking the person to write a press release for
their latest event.  Say that the press release is not “commercial speech,” but
fully protected religious advocacy.

               It’s just that this writer doesn’t want to create this sort of
advocacy, for a religion that he views as evil and corrupt.  He says no, and
the Scientologists sue him for religious discrimination.  I would think that he
should a First Amendment right not to be compelled to write religious advocacy
that he doesn’t want to write.  Am I mistaken on that?

               As to some of the other analogies, I don’t think they quite
work.  Some involve commercial speech, which is treated differently, compare
Pittsburgh Press.  The closest examples involve lawyers and doctors, but those
are treated differently, for complicated reasons having to do with tradition
and with the professionals’ monopoly, to the point that I don’t think they
should be much of a precedent for other speakers.  One piece of evidence:
Lawyers have historically been required to defend criminal defendants, for free
and regardless of their preferences – not just by antidiscrimination law, but
by ad hoc court orders.  Surely if a government agency just ordered a freelance
writer to write a press release for some worthy organization, on the grounds
that they really needed the services, we’d agree that this is unconstitutional
compelled speech compulsion, right?  If so, then I think this shows that
(rightly or wrongly) lawyer-client speech and doctor-client speech is broadly
subject to much more compulsion than freelance writing, photography, etc.

               Eugene