I was about to send this post when Eugene's came in. To some degree it makes
similar points. And it makes some points that are similar to Steve's helpful
post.

With regard to whether there should be a "creative expression" exception to
antidiscrimination laws, as Alan frames the issue:

Of course another way of looking at this is the extent to which there should be
exceptions made to the very strong 1st Am protection against compelled speech,
outside the area of commercial speech.

We are willing to force people to engage in war and kill others in order to
protect our nation. Why not then require people to swear loyalty to the nation?

On a slightly different note, we all know that the complainants in Elane
Photography did not really have their hearts set on having Elaine Huguenin take
their photos. Who would really want someone to take celebratory photographs of
an event that the photographer thought deeply wrong? No. This was an effort to
engage in public "education" (or private re-education) by requiring Huguenin to
bow down or go out of business. Does anyone think there weren't other
photographers the complainants could have gone to?

So if this is really about inculcating a point of view -- and delegitimizing
another -- doesn't the state have a very strong interest in inculcating
patriotism and in delegitimizing pacifism? So much for Barnette.

However creative they may be, salespersons (including Alan's Uncle George) who
are trying to persuade customers to buy a product are engaged in commercial
speech, or something like it: they are in effect proposing a commercial
transaction. Artists (including wedding photographers) are not. We all know
that speech is not commercial speech just because the speaker is paid.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 15, 2015, at 3:08 PM, "Volokh, Eugene"