The compelling interest of "mandating equal treatment in all situations"
does not depend on the impropriety of the reason on its own. Rather, it is
the harm associated with unequal treatment because of that reason. Suspect
classes are suspect classes (in part) due to the length and scale of the
discrimination against the class. The goal isn't, or shouldn't be at least,
to punish bad reasons for discrimination, it is to protect the class from
the effects of discrimination. Thus, the interest is more or less
compelling proportional to the ease with which a member of the class can
find an alternate public accommodation. The irony of course being that
sexual orientation protections spring up faster in places where
discrimination is comparatively minimal, however noxious.