"I think that requirements that keep new entrants of certain religions out
of various lines of business are substantial burdens."

This cannot possibly be correct.  It's not a substantial burden on one's
religion simply to be precluded from working in a small percentage of jobs
in the economy because the very nature of those jobs is inconsistent with
one's religion.  Assume, for instance, that my religion prohibits me from
being involved in capital punishment.  That would exclude me from a handful
of government jobs, but I think I'd be perfectly ok.  That is to say -- the
effective exclusion from those jobs is highly, highly, unlikely to put any
pressure on me, let alone substantial pressure, to violate my religious
obligations.

As for your lottery ticket hypo, assuming that all three individuals
actually think it would be sinful for them to sell lottery tickets, the law
would impose the same burden on Ahmed and Charles --probably a substantial
burden, depending on their alternatives -- while the burden on Betty would
be far less, since she hasn't invested nearly as much in the business.