I would tend to agree with Eugene here, but for two things.

First, Davis only took office as County Clerk seven months ago, when it was
quite foreseeable that her office would be required to issue same-sex
marriage licenses and certificates.  As we discussed in an earlier thread,
I doubt the prospect of losing this new job would place a substantial
burden on her religious exercise, assuming she could then go back to her
longtime position as Deputy Clerk.

But let's put aside that debate, which we ran to ground last time.  Let's
assume, for instance, that she'd have to resign from the Clerk's office
altogether if she does not comply with Kentucky law, thereby forfeiting her
vocation of 30 years.  In that case, I might agree with Eugene about
Kentucky's RFRA *if *the facts were as Davis alleges.  That is to say:  If
Kentucky law otherwise required her, as County Clerk, to (as her brief
alleges) "authoriz[e] and approv[e] a proposed union to be a 'marriage,'
which, in her sincerely-held religious beliefs, is not a marriage," then
perhaps the Kentucky RFRA should be construed to permit her deputy clerk,
rather than herself, to sign all marriage certificates and licenses in her
county (same-sex and opposite-sex alike).  (One of her deputy clerks does
not share her religious objection and has agreed to do so.)

Here's the catch, however:  Even apart from RFRA, Kentucky law *already* allows
the wiling deputy clerk to sign the certificate and license, in lieu of
Davis.  (The license authorizes the officiant to perform the marriage; the
certificate records the marriage itself.)  Davis does not have to sign or
approve them.

So why is she instructing her deputies not to issue such certificates and
licenses?  Because, she claims, even if a deputy signs the forms, her name
will continue to appear in one place on each of them.  And she's right
about that:  Her name will continue to appear.

However, I believe Davis is mistaken when she argues that "every license
requires her name to appear on the license *as the authorizing person*."
 As you can see from the forms themselves -- on page 139 of the pdf -- the
authorizing person will be the deputy clerk who signs the forms, *not *Davis.
Her name would appear on each form only to identify *in* *which clerk's
office* the license was issued and the certificate recorded.  E.g.:
 "Issued this 3 September 2015 in the office of Kim Davis, Rowan County
County Clerk, Morehead, Kentucky *by Brian Mason, Deputy Clerk*."

Her petition suggests that even this factual statement -- that the license
was issued in her office -- will be seen as her endorsement of the
marriage, thereby making her complicit in it.  But that's simply wrong,
isn't it?:  Particularly since it will be her deputy's signature, rather
than Davis's, that appears on the forms, no reasonable observer, with any
modicum of knowledge about the views of Kentucky County Clerks in the wake
of *Obergefell*, would possibly think that Davis herself has endorsed or
approved a same-sex marriage.  And therefore, her basic claim about
complicity-by-approval or complicity-by-perceived-endorsement, is premised
on a mistake of fact . . . and thus there's no substantial burden on her
religious exercise, even accepting her religious beliefs.

Now, I agree that, if only to end this whole unfortunate dispute in a way
that will apparently make Davis feel even further removed from the
marriages, it would be wise and magnanimous of the Governor to allow Davis
to leave her name off the documents for all marriages in Cowan county, even
if the law does not require that accommodation.  E.g.:  "Issued this 3
September 2015 in the office of the Rowan County County Clerk, Morehead,
Kentucky *by Brian Mason, Deputy Clerk*."  But the Governor can and should
do so *only *if such an omission of Davis's name would in no way affect the
validity of the documents under Kentucky law.