Sent again with prior posts trimmed to conform to list size limits.

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law

Sent from my iPad

But then it's bigotry to oppose religious exemptions with regard to federal law
per the federal RFRA, and, if you are a Kentuckian, to oppose religious
exemptions under the KY RFRA. So opponents of giving an exemption to Davis for
KY law purposes are anti-religious bigots.

No. Neither position need flow from bigotry as a matter of con law unless we
think the majority in Obergefell was dishonest and that the Court in Smith was
dishonest in saying that religious persons could seek protection by way of the
political process. (Nor do I think either position need flow from bigotry as a
matter of morality and common understanding. Cf. the President, seeking
reelection in an earlier reincarnation.)

Of course a generally applicable RFRA is better, as a matter of protection of
minority faiths, than a case-by-case legislative grant of exemptions for
particular practices.

I am willing to say that opponents of RFRAs aren't necessarily bigots. Would
that proponents of same-sex marriage would reciprocate with regard to that
issue. (I realize that some list members do.)

But of course the promise of a regime of tolerance made by opponents of Prop.
8, who told us that fears of intolerance were completely unfounded, has become
inoperative.

Signing off for the day.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:02 AM, "Steven Jamar"