Kevin writes: "It would have been odd, for example, if Kentucky's Attorney
General had said that he would not be defending Kentucky's marriage law,
but that his office would continue to do so through his deputy. It made
sense that the state hired private counsel instead."

I'm not sure this analogy works. It's one thing for an AG to refuse to have
their office defend a law based on the AG's conclusion that a district
judge correctly found the law to be unconstitutional and that the Supreme
Court is likely to agree. It is quite another for an AG to refuse to have
their office defend a law based solely on the AG's religious objection to
the law. The idea that we wouldn't have state lawyers defend state laws
based on  state AGs' religious objections to those laws strikes me as
extremely odd.

Back to Davis, my point was not that she hasn't preserved the "on her
authority" argument for objecting to the issuance of "Rowan County Clerk's
Office" licenses. It appears that she has preserved that argument. But
given Marty's comparison of that argument to the complicity arguments in
the contraception case, I thought it was worth noting that her lawyers
specifically argued in their latest filing that her claim should be viewed
as more modest than the claims in the contraception cases and they framed
that argument by emphasizing (their emphasis, not mine) the phrase "devoid
of her name."

Finally, in judging the burden a claimed accommodation imposes on the
government, I'm inclined to think that we need to look at more than the
logistical issue of whether "the government could easily substitute another
official." It seems to me that requiring the government to modify the use
of government office names to satisfy the religious beliefs of government
employees imposes a burden (and raises concerns) beyond logistics.
(Alternatively, perhaps this is all best approached not by focusing on the
burden on government, but instead, the lack of a cognizable burden on
plaintiff per Roy and Lyng).

- Jim