Davis has now filed a couple of briefs in the Sixth Circuit, and attached
the transcript of the contempt hearing to one of them . . . so now it's
possible to figure out where things are heading, at least to a certain
extent.

*1.*  *Judge Bunning construes his P.I. to cover the Deputy Clerks*

The judge is of the view that the P.I. enjoins the Rowan County Deputy
Clerks, as well, under FRCP 65(d)(2)(B), because they are Davis's
"employees," are on notice of the injunction against her in her official
capacity, and (as I described in my first post) are themselves authorized
by Kentucky law to issue marriage licenses.  Judge Bunning therefore
threatened to hold the Deputies in contempt, too, if they continued to
refuse to issue licenses.  That's why Deputy Clerk Mason is now issuing the
licenses--although he also asserted that he was willing to do so earlier,
and would have issued them prior to the P.I. but for Davis's direction to
him not to do so.

*2.*  *Davis is moving to overturn Judge Bunning's expansion of his
injunction to cover nonparties.  *

She claims that Bunning should not have expanded the P.I. beyond the four
named plaintiff couples, and is asking the Sixth Circuit to reverse that
expansion.  I'm not sure about the procedural questions, but she actually
might have a point on the merits.  It turns out that the judge did *not *(as
I hypothesized earlier) expand the P.I. in anticipation of granting class
certification.  That was the rationale offered by the plaintiffs for why he
should do so, but it's not the reason Judge Bunning gave for expanding the
scope of the P.I.  Instead, his rationale for expanding it was that he has
before him two companion cases, Nos. 15-46 and 15-62, each involving one
other plaintiff couple (David Ermold/David Moore, and James Yates/Will
Smith, respectively), "that involve, in essence, the very same allegations
with the same lawyers."  "[I]t just makes judicial sense," he said at the
hearing, "to have the Circuit review the decision for all three of [the
cases].  I'm not granting a class certification motion.  But I do believe
that allowing the injunction as it currently exists to apply to some, but
not others, simply doesn't make practical sense, so that's the Court's
ruling."

If that's his reason for expanding the P.I., however, it's not clear to me
why he wasn't required to limit the expansion to the two couples who had
filed lawsuits in the companion cases or, at most, to all couples who have
filed or do file such cases.  He doesn't really offer a justification for
having expanded the P.I. to cover couples who appear at the Rowan County
Clerk's Office but who do *not *file a suit.  (Perhaps he assumes that any
couple turned away by David *would *promptly file a suit; but I doubt
that's a valid assumption.)

Accordingly, I think there's at least some chance that the court of appeals
will limit the P.I. to the named parties.  Five of the six plaintiff
couples (including both of those in the companion cases) have already
obtained licenses on which Davis's name does not appear.  (Only Shantel
Burke and Stephen Napier have not yet done so.)  Therefore, a reduced P.I.
would cover only one remaining couple (Burke/Napier), at least until such
time as Bunning certifies a class in one or more cases before him.

*3.*  *Davis wishes to instruct the Deputy Clerks not to issue licenses to
nonplaintiff couples*

There appears to be little doubt that if the court of appeals limits the
P.I. to the named plaintiffs--and perhaps even if it does not--Davis will
instruct her Deputies not to issue licenses to any couples other than
(perhaps) Burke and Napier, *even if those licenses do not include her name*.
And the Deputies will likely obey such an order if the P.I. is cut back,
because they are of the view that but for the injunction they'd be subject
to Davis's direction and control.  If the injunction remains in its present
form, and Davis directs the Deputies not to issue licenses, I imagine at
least one of them (Mason) will ignore her order, in order to avoid being
held in contempt.

*4.*  *Davis continues to argue that she is legally entitled to issue such
an order to the Deputy Clerks by virtue of Kentucky's RFRA, even if the
licenses would not bear her name*

As Eugene prophesied, Davis has, indeed, changed her theory of religious
obligation to fit the changed circumstances.  (I realize that's not the way
you would put it, Eugene!)

As I noted earlier, her previous papers indicated that deleting her name
from the form would be an adequate accommodation of her religious
obligations.  Among the alternatives that Davis argued would "accomplish"
the state interest "without substantially burdening Davis’ religious
freedom and conscience" was:

Modifying the prescribed Kentucky marriage license form to remove the
multiple references to Davis’ *name*, and *thus* to remove the *personal
nature *of the authorization that *Davis* must provide on the current form.

Similarly, at the contempt hearing she testified that she would not have
any objection "if there were a way to issue a marriage license from Rowan
County that did not depend on [her] authorization and bear [her] name."
 Her lawyer also stated that if the form had "no personal authority, no Kim
Davis name on it, available in a Rowan County Clerk's office, . . . this
case would be over."

Now that her name has been removed, however, she insists that both her
name *and
*her title must be deleted from the form, and *then* "this case would be
over."  She doesn't ever quite explain why she's insisting on this extra
amendment, except in a footnote, where she says that unless the licenses
are scrubbed of her name and title, they would "appear to be, or can be
deemed to be, issued on Davis’ authority."

This is, of course, nonsense.  Indeed, as I've previously explained,
even *before
*her name was removed, the license--which would have read:  "Issued this
9/_/2015 *in* the office of Kim Davis, Rowan County County Clerk, Morehead,
Kentucky *by* Brian Mason [signature initials], Deputy Clerk”--would not
have "depended" on Davis's "authorization" nor conveyed, to any reasonable
observer, that Davis authorized or approved or sanctioned any same-sex
marriage.  But surely, even if I were wrong about that, does anyone truly
believe that Davis's religion prohibits *her office, and Mason*, from
issuing a license that reads:  "Issued this 9/_/2015 in the office of the
Rowan County County Clerk, Morehead, Kentucky by Brian Mason [signature
initials], Deputy Clerk,” on the ground that such a license would "appear
to be, or can be deemed to be, issued on Davis’ authority"?  At the
hearing, Davis testified that she would have no religious objection if a
license did not depend on her authorization or bear her name.  These
licenses don't do either thing.

Perhaps there's an easy way for Mason to call Davis's bluff here, too:
 Just as he has omitted her name from the form, perhaps he could issue
licenses that are further amended to read:

"Issued this 9/_/2015 in Morehead, Kentucky by Brian Mason [signature
initials], Rowan County Deputy Clerk.”

I don't know whether Kentucky law would permit such a unilateral amendment
by Mason.  The statute requires that the license contain "[t]he date *and
place* the license is issued, and the signature of the county clerk *or
deputy clerk* issuing the license."  Whether "Morehead" would suffice to
designate the "place" is, I'd wager, a question of statutory interpretation
no one has ever considered.

In any event, the argument that Davis's exercise of religion is
significantly burdened if a license to officiate a same-sex marriage
indicates that it was "issued in the office of the Rowan County County
Clerk, by Brian Mason, Deputy Clerk,” is, I think, quite obviously a mere
ploy to keep her case alive no matter much her claims have been
accommodated.

*5.  Davis continues to urge the federal courts to order the Governor to
amend the marriage license form to delete the space for her name and
office--but she's unlikely to get such relief*

Davis continues to push her claims in *federal *court against the Kentucky
Governor, insisting that he be ordered to amend the marriage license form
to delete the references to her name and office.  Judge Bunning ruled
yesterday that Davis's federal claims against the Governor, under the First
Amendment, have little to no likelihood of success, and that her claims
under Kentucky law, including Kentucky RFRA, are barred by sovereign
immunity.  "Davis’ claims brought under state law should therefore be
brought in Kentucky state court," he explained.

The Governor himself has made similar arguments, as well as others, in the
court of appeals, and that court is likely to agree with Judge Bunning.
For what it's worth, in the Sixth Circuit Davis argues that her Kentucky
RFRA claim is not barred by *Pennhurst *because *denial *of that claim is
itself a violation of her federal constitutional rights.  Her attorneys
write:

[S]overeign immunity does not preclude state law claims based
upon violations of state statutes that compel nondiscretionary duties, as
are involved here. The Kentucky RFRA mandates an analysis for all
government action, and is not discretionary in its terms. See Ky. Rev.
Stat. § 446.350 (“Government shall not
substantially burden a person’s freedom of religion.”) (emphasis added). As
such, the Kentucky RFRA creates a liberty interest protected by the
Fourteenth Amendment’s Due Process Clause and thus a violation of it
constitutes an unconstitutional denial of liberty without due process.

I'll let that argument speak for itself.