In my Thanksgiving mode (which I will try to sustain all year): I am very
grateful to Marty for asking this question, and to Jim Oleske for providing
an impressively comprehensive answer.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:01 AM, James Oleske <jole...@lclark.edu> wrote:

> In addition to the anticipated re-introduction of the Georgia RFRA that
> Chip mentions below, a state analog of the federal First Amendment Defense
> Act (FADA) has been introduced in Illinois. In addition, a bill has been
> introduced in Indiana that would combine statewide LGBT-rights protections
> with FADA-style language exempting certain religious objectors. The
> Campaign for American Principles, a new Super PAC led by Professor Robert
> George, has made the federal FADA a top priority. Meanwhile, the Family
> Research Council is urging the passage of state FADAs and offering model
> legislation. As a result, it seems likely that additional FADA bills will
> be introduced soon for consideration during 2016 state legislative sessions.
>
> As for the federal and Illinois FADAs that have already been proposed,
> both provide that, notwithstanding any other provision of law, the [Federal
> Government/State] cannot impose penalties upon or withdraw tax exemptions
> from "any person" on the basis that the person "acts in accordance with a
> [sincerely held] religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or
> should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual
> relations are properly reserved to such a marriage." (The modifier
> "sincerely held" does not appear in the Illinois bill.)
>

> In the Illinois FADA, "person" is defined to include any corporation,
> nonprofit or for-profit. The same was originally true of the federal FADA,
> but Senator Lee has since announced revisions that would exclude publicly
> traded for-profit corporations; federal government employees; for-profit
> federal contractors; and medical providers with respect to visitation,
> recognition of designated decisionmakers, and necessary medical care. The
> religious exemptions in the Indiana bill are both broader and narrower than
> those in the federal and Illinois bills. They are broader in that they
> apply to all religious beliefs about marriage (so, presumably, objections
> to interracial marriage, interfaith marriage, and re-marriage of divorced
> individuals, not just objections to same-sex marriage). They are narrower
> in that they extend to commercial entities only if those entities have
> fewer than 4 employees.
>

> As for Marty's question about whether the Indiana and Arizona experiences
> put a damper on these initiatives, I think the answer is "yes, but." On the
> one hand, the experiences in Indiana and Arizona (and I'd add Louisiana)
> indicate that standalone RFRAs or FADAs will face serious headwinds in
> 2016. On the other hand, opposition to the Obergefell decision will likely
> fuel the introduction of new RFRAs and FADAs, regardless of their prospects
> for ultimate passage. And perhaps in a state that does not yet have
> statewide LGBT rights protections, a political compromise to obtain those
> protections will include some RFRA or FADA-like provisions.
>

> - Jim

> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg