From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of James Oleske [jole...@lclark.edu]
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 3:20 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: State RFRAs and their equivalents

In addition to Doug's piece, this March 2014 post from Eugene has a map and
comprehensive legend covering both RFRAs and state constitutional provisions
that have been interpreted as providing exemption rights:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/03/24/religious-exemptions-a-guide-for-the-confused/

Mississippi, Indiana, and Arkansas have since adopted RFRAs. I don't know if
any additional states have interpreted their constitutions to require
exemptions since March 2014, but Washington State's Supreme Court will soon be
hearing a case (the florist/same-sex marriage case) in which it will be called
upon to apply the state's constitutional provision on religious freedom.
Although Eugene has Washington listed in the constitutional "strict scrutiny"
category, and although the Washington Supreme Court has continued to use
"compelling interest"/"narrow means" language, it has also used
"reasonableness" language, which has muddied the waters. See City of
Woodinville v. Northshore United Church of Christ, 211 P.3d 406, 410 n.3 (2009)
("Of course, the government may require compliance with reasonable police power
regulation.").

- Jim

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Douglas Laycock