From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira Lupu
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:29 AM
To: Mitchell Berman <mitch...@law.upenn.edu>
Cc: David Bernstein <dbern...@gmu.edu>; Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>; conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Noteworthy, puzzling scholars' brief in Arlene Flowers

Mitch Berman's good question asks in general terms about how much "solicitude"
Fred's claim deserves.  But we cannot answer intelligently unless we know the
forum and the grounds advanced for Fred.  Is he asking the state legislature to
exempt religious objectors from public accommodations law?  Is he raising a
compelled speech claim?  A religious freedom claim under a RFRA, or a state
constitution?  I would give his claim no solicitude in any of these contexts,
for reasons I have spelled out at length on this listserv and in law reviews.
But I can imagine that others might well react differently depending on the
legal context.